Why You Should Spend a Summer in your College Town


If you're not excited for the school year to start up in August, you either picked the wrong school... or you're already living in your college town. Most students can't wait to pack up and move back to the city they go to school in. This summer, after my trip to New Zealand, I moved straight down to Springfield. I've been working two jobs on campus, cooking for myself, and beginning to actually be responsible for myself. Let me tell you, this has not been easy, but I'm glad I did it.

Here's some reasons why you should spend (at least) one summer in your college town:

You'll have time to become responsible - Instead of moving into your apartment or house in August and not having time to settle in, you have two or three extra months to become accustomed to your living space. I'm working M-F and settled into a routine quickly, with enough free time to relax and have fun.

Your friends will be a lot closer - Most likely, you won't be the only one staying near campus in the summer. When I'm at home, most of my friends are almost 30 minutes away. However, since my college town is a lot smaller, most of my friends are now less than 10 minutes down the road.

Keep working the same job - Instead of going home to work odd shifts in retail during the summer, I found a job in May that I could start when I moved down here and continue through the school year. I'm also working a second job for the summer.

Do all the things you don't have time for during the semester - Explore your college town, and do it while it's not as crowded as normal. In the month that I've been here, I've been to new places that I always wanted to visit and never had time for during classes. Look out for a part two of this blog post soon!

Summer classes - If you need to take a class or two over the summer, it's much more convenient to take them at your own university. It might cost a little more than a community college, but you won't have to worry about transferring them. They're also typically a little easier than they would be in the fall or spring.

I've now spent one summer in my hometown and one in my college town, and I'll most likely be spending next summer in my college town too. How are you spending your summer? Leave a comment and let me know!


Instagram // Twitter // Pinterest // Facebook
Don't forget to follow Caiti Nicole on Bloglovin' so you never miss a post!

No comments:

Post a Comment