How to find your "Squad" in College


In high school, I was always floating between groups with only two or three consistent and close friends. I started college last year at Missouri State, while half my high school went to Mizzou. I can't begin to describe how happy I have been with my choice in university, but it meant I had to branch out more and make new friends. The idea of trying to socialize in a new place full of people I didn't know was absolutely terrifying. If I can put myself out there and find my crew, then you absolutely can too. 

Take the Initiative

Just say "hello" to someone. You never know where you will end up. I had Public Speaking with my current roommate last year, and we started talking the day after bid day because I walked right up to her and mentioned that I wasn't wearing the shirt but that we were in the same sorority now. And she thought I was completely insane. Then we started getting lunch together before class and going to chapter events together. Now, we struggle to go more than 24 hours without seeing each other.

Get Involved on Campus

Joining a sorority introduced me to my closest friends, but not all of my friends are my sisters. Join other organizations that interest you. Not only will you find people with the same ideas and passions, you'll find your place on campus. It's so super important to have a well rounded group of acquaintances and friends. You never know what doors will open because of the connections you make with people in college. 

Be Authentic

The worst thing you can do in college is try to be someone that you aren't. The deepest friendships that I have are because we are ourselves around each other. My group of friends and I can be completely honest and open when we are together, which is so important to me. I don't hesitate to tell them things or ask for advice. My friends are also my biggest cheerleaders. 

College is difficult and weird and crazy, but it is so much easier with a support system. Look for people who will celebrate your victories and still be there when you fall. Remember, this is the time when you find out which friends are going to last a lifetime. As I mentioned earlier, very few of my high school friends remained close to me after graduation. College makes you realize who you are friends with because you have class together every day and who you are friends with because you actually connect.

Let's be friends:
Instagram // Twitter // Pinterest // Facebook
Don't forget to follow Caiti Nicole on Bloglovin' so you never miss a post!


No comments:

Post a Comment