Sorority Recruitment 101


Sorority recruitment is a long and complicated process. Its tiring, it's stressful, and it's emotional. I went through it as a potential new member last year and I learned a lot in the process before accepting a bid from my chapter. I also blogged about why joining a sorority was the best decision I ever made, and why you should go through recruitment. In this post, I'll share some of the things I learned about recruitment from my experience. 

Your Recruitment Counselor is your new Best Friend. 
We have Pi Chis at Missouri State, but you may know them as a Rho Chi or Rho Gamma. This is a temporarily disaffiliated sorority member who serves as your guide and mentor for recruitment. She is not able to speak to active members of her sorority or other chapters on your campus about recruitment. She will be the one with mints, perfume and band aids. Your Pi Chi is also who will give you unbiased advice when it comes time to rank at the end of each day. Be honest with her, and share as much as you can about how you are feeling during recruitment. She has your best interests at heart. On my bid day, I was overjoyed to find out I was joining my Pi Chi's sisterhood. She was extremely helpful during recruitment and listened to everything I had to say between and after visiting houses. 

Keep an Open Mind.
If there is one piece of advice you take seriously going into formal recruitment, let it be this. You are also probably going to hear this a million times. Don't listen to what other girls are saying about the houses you visit. Remind yourself that your opinions about the house are what matter. These opinions should only be shaped by your personal experience with the house. To avoid gossiping or being influenced by rumors, talk to fellow potential new members about other things! Discuss your favorite TV shows, classes, or where they are from. Ignore any stereotypes about chapters on your campus, because they probably aren't even accurate. Maybe you have an older friend at your school who is already a member of a sorority. Don't assume that her chapter is the one for you. Go into each house willing to learn about their sisterhood. I promise this is how you will find your new home at college.

Trust the System
So, you didn't get invited back to your top house. It happens more often than you would think. That doesn't mean it's time to quit recruitment. When you get your schedule for the day, and you don't see exactly what you wanted to see, it's okay. Remember that there are probably girls who were not asked back to any house. These houses chose you. They wanted you back. The women you talked to in that chapter saw something in you. So now, you pull yourself together and you go to those houses. Be excited about it. You are going to learn more about their sisterhood each day, and you aren't really ready to make a decision about a chapter after one hour in their house. One of the girls in my chapter that I talked to on day one told me (later, after I had been initiated) that she knew from the moment she met me that I was meant to be in that chapter. I definitely didn't know that on day one. I wasn't even sure of that on bid day, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Sorority Members are Nervous too
You might not think you're nervous about recruitment, but sometimes it only hits you when you are lined up outside a house. First, remember that you have nothing to worry about. Of course you want to impress the women inside, but it may not be the right house for you. It's okay if not every conversation is perfect. Don't forget that the members of the chapter are nervous too. Sure, they have their sisters and they're already in a sorority. They've also spent months preparing for recruitment to make sure that you feel at home when you visit their chapter. As much as you want them to like you, they want you to like them. During recruitment, you should be looking for connections with the women you meet. They are just trying their best to establish one. 

I hope this post was helpful! If there is anything else you want to know about sorority recruitment, please ask by leaving a comment below! Sorority Sugar is also a great resource for general questions about sorority life.

Let's be friends:
Instagram // Twitter // Pinterest // Facebook
Don't forget to follow Caiti Nicole on Bloglovin' so you never miss a post!

2 comments:

  1. This post was super helpful! I'm glad you found the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete