10 Things to do in Springfield, MO


I've been living in Springfield, MO (on the Missouri State University campus) for almost 9 months and I've done some exploring. I absolutely love it here. In my opinion, it's the perfect sized city for a college student. So, today I'm sharing ten things to do next time you visit Springfield. These are all places I've visited and several I've eaten at because food is always a priority. 

1. Dickerson Park Zoo
  • Admission is $12 for adults. The Zoo is open from 10am-4pm daily between April and September. If you're from Kansas City or Saint Louis, you may be underwhelmed by this Zoo but it's still a good way to spend a day! One of my favorite things is that you can feed the giraffes! You can even take a virtual tour to get a feel for the Zoo before you visit. 

2. Springfield Botanical Gardens
  • I've taken photos for this blog at the Botanical Gardens. This is a great location if you are looking for somewhere to take photos. The day I was there, there were people taking family portraits and senior photos. It's completely free to walk around and there are several gardens to see that are open from sunrise to sunset. There is also a Butterfly House!

3. World's Largest Fork
  • This fork is 35 feet tall and weighs 11 tons. There's not much to do since it's located just outside an ad agency, but it's a fun photo op and you can make a lot of puns. Apparently, it used to stand in front of a restaurant, but that closed. 

4. Attend a Baseball Game
  • Whether it be the Missouri State Bears (bear up!) or the Springfield Cardinals, head to Hammons Field. The home opener for the Cardinals is April 14th but the Bears season is already underway and they're doing great. I highly suggest going to a game!

5. Pineapple Whip! 
  • One of my favorite places in Springfield is Pineapple Whip. It just opened back up for the season. The flavors depend on the day, but there is always pineapple. You can get a cone or a cup for $2.50. If you're not convinced, when we introduced one of my friends to Pineapple Whip she told me it was "the best thing to happen to her."

6. Hurt's Donuts
  • Speaking of food, a trip to Springfield would be incomplete without stopping at Hurt's. They have an endless variety of crazy flavors. My favorite menu item is the milkshake because you get a flavored shake topped with a donut instead of a lid. Hurt's is always full of college students in the evenings. 

7. Bambino's 
  • My friends and I absolutely love this restaurant. The location we usually go to is tucked away in a neighborhood close to our campus. They have incredible bread and really good Italian food. It's not super expensive and it's a perfect spot for a casual lunch or dinner. They don't take reservations, but you can call in advance if you have a large group. 

8. Bass Pro Shop
  • Known as the "grandaddy of all outdoor stores", this Bass Pro is gigantic. It includes aquariums, a NRA museum, and every camouflage item you could ever imagine. There's also a restaurant inside and a fudge shop! It's easy to spend hours wandering around this huge store. 

9. Lake Springfield
  • If you want to get out into nature, you should definitely explore Lake Springfield. You can fish, canoe or kayak in the lake. There's also plenty of trails to hike and bird watching opportunities. 

10. Visit Missouri State
  • Schedule a tour online and take a look at Missouri State University with one of our University Ambassadors. I found my home here, and I absolutely love it. Make sure you take a photo with the Bear Statue, she even has her own twitter account. We have a beautiful campus and our student body keeps growing each year. 


Let's be friends:
Instagram // Twitter // Pinterest
Don't forget to follow Caiti Nicole on Bloglovin' so you never miss a post!


No comments:

Post a Comment