Introducing Kali



I want to start this post off by acknowledging that it, and any other content on Shutterblush, is not affiliated with or sponsored by the Saint Louis Zoo. However, if you've been reading my blog for a while, or if you have been following me on other social media (which you totally should, links are at the end of the post!) for any amount of time, you know that I care deeply about animals and the environment. 

It's been in the news that Kali, an orphaned polar bear would be moving from Buffalo to St Louis. When I found out we were getting a polar bear, I was beyond excited. His new home has been under construction for a long time, but it was long worth the wait. Like I mentioned when I talked about Ginger, the baby orangutan, it's a great opportunity for the zoo to raise awareness about problems these animals are facing in the wild. While polar bears are not endangered, they are threatened by habitat loss due to melting ice in the Arctic.

Kali was orphaned when hunters killed his mother in Alaska. They discovered that she had been nursing and located the cub successfully. He was wrapped up and transported via snowmobile to a safe place. Kali has lived in Buffalo, NY for the last two years.


Reason 1: This photo

His new habitat is finally ready and he is out for the public to see! He still acts like a two and half year old, and seems very curious and playful! When I saw him, he was playing with a big trash can, jumping in the water, and standing up by the glass. That really helped to put in perspective how big this animal is. Kali weights about 850lbs and his paws are roughly a foot in diameter. The following photos were taken on my DSLR, a Pentax K20d.


2 comments:

  1. This is the cutest post lovely. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through this, and such cute photo's too :)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete